A Personal Insurance Update
All of us have certain beliefs pertaining to homeowner’s insurance, auto insurance and other personal insurance products. These beliefs can often cause us to make uneducated, or even poor, decisions regarding our personal insurance. This was recently confirmed in a study completed by the Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I.) Research publication, “Homeowner’s Insurance: Understanding, Attitudes, and Shopping Practices.”
How Insurance Beliefs Shape Actions
- Some people think that the internet is the best way to obtain some personal insurance products. When, in fact, the best way to get the right combination of price, coverage, and services is to use an independent agent.
- Most homeowners believe that sewer back up from outside their home is covered on their homeowner’s policy. However, generally sewage backups are not covered without a rider or separate policy.
- Your agent can be the best way to educate yourself on your insurance. People should utilize their agent to help them understand how their risks are changing, and how insurance can be designed to meet their individual needs.
- Less than fifty percent of people use their agent to comparison shop. Your agent has many markets and will comparison-shop for you annually.
- Many people mistakenly believe that earthquake, flood, and hurricane damage is covered under a standard homeowner’s insurance policy. These are not. Separate policies need to be purchased.
- There are many people who think that replacement cost coverage will provide complete replacement if their home is a destroyed in a covered loss. This is not the case, the policy will only provide replacement up to the policy limit. We recommend that together we review your replacement cost valuation annually.
McKinley & DiMarco Insurance Services is an independent agency. This means we don’t work for any one specific insurance company. We have access to many markets, giving us the ability to shop your account and search the market for the best option for you. With captive insurance agents, like the big national companies, you only get the guidance of one company that sells one brand of insurance. With an independent insurance agent, like McKinley & DiMarco Insurance Services you may get as many as five choices or more