As we continue our articles on a new way to think about the Texas insurance buying experience, we want to turn our attention to times when insurance may not be the right solution. Remember, we are more interested in helping our clients find the right insurance or risk solution.
We will be the first to say that certain types of insurance may not always be best for your needs. We believe each client is unique and therefore requires unique insurance solutions. But there is more to the process.
First you and your agent need to talk about what your risks and goals are regarding the issues. Your agent should be able to help you identify all the risks and, only then, provide solutions.
Here is a good example
We recently had a client buy an older used car for one of their kids. After we reviewed the ACV value for the client, we recommended that he not purchase collision coverage. We told him to use the savings to put into an auto replacement fund. This will save the client hundreds of dollars over time.
Here are other kinds of Texas insurance you may not need
- Universal life – Typically term life insurance is going to be a better fit for you. Term life costs less, and you can take the premium difference and invest it yourself.
- Extended warranty plans – These are never a good idea. The warranty premiums are mostly commissions paid to the salesperson. Some credit card companies offer this protection if you make the purchase with their cards.
- Pet Insurance – Pet insurance usually is very limited in coverage and very costly.
- Insurance on outstanding credit card balances – This type of insurance can be costly, and there are a lot of loopholes to go through before any benefits are paid.
- Mini Storage Insurance – As long as you have homeowner’s or renters insurance you don’t need to buy special insurance. Most policies have automatic coverage for property away from your primary premises. Call us for details and limitations.
- Rental car collision insurance – If you already have collision insurance from your personal auto insurance, you don’t need to buy additional insurance from the rental company. However, opting for the additional coverage could be worth the price if you don’t have collision insurance. But if you’re charging the rental to your credit card, it’s also possible to get the coverage through them.
- Mortgage life insurance – This protects the bank, not you. If you were to die, the payout goes to the bank, not your family. You are better off buying term life insurance.
- Flight Insurance – This is completely unnecessary, as airline accidents are rare and your life insurance policy should already provide the coverage in the event of a catastrophe.
McKinley & DiMarco Insurance Services is Your Key to Security
Your insurance isn’t something you think about until you need it, but it’s very important to get high-quality coverage for the things that mean most to you. Having an agent you can trust will give you peace of mind and makes the whole process more enjoyable. To partner with us, stop by one of our offices or call (888) 821-5149 to speak with an agent. We’ve been helping Texas residents for over a decade, and we’re ready to listen to you today.